Wednesday, February 1, 2012

VS: A Show of Opposites THIS SATURDAY

I can't believe I haven't posted this earlier; I've been so busy promoting it everywhere else, I forgot my dear little blog!!!!

ANYWAY, this Saturday, Feb 4th in San Francisco, I'm co-hosting VS: A Show of Opposites with Mission Comics and Art! Leef Smith, (who, btw, is an AMAZING retail/gallery owner!) has been truly wonderful to work with; after the Girls Drawin Girls book signing back in August, I spoke to him about curating an art show of all my amazingly talented friends.

Well, my dreams have come true! I've gathered 19 great artists friends to present "VS: A Show of Opposites," themed around work having to do with contrasts, opposites, and resolution. I am SO SO excited about the work that's been coming in, and been having tons of fun working on my own pieces.

It's been a joy to oversee a show that wasn't pin-up themed, or restricted to female artists. The hardest part was trying to figure out how many artists I could include. Believe me, I would have invited all my friends if I could! I'm hoping if this opening goes well, this is the first of many (larger!) group shows I help to organize, where many more people participate.

My friend Maggie asked me what made me want to curate; I figured out that curating art shows combines both my love of promoting art, promoting my friends, and creating fun and enjoyable events/parties! I also take great inspiration from Ally of swoon gallery, and all the incredible group shows she oversees and curates; definitely a special skill set managing that many artists!!!

Without further ado, here are sneak peeks of my two pieces, as well as the flyer and all the info!!





Group Exhibition: “VS: A Show of Opposites”
New Works by SF and LA Artists
February 4, 2012 through March 3, 2012
Opening Reception 2/4/12
7pm-10pm

Anand Duncan 
Emma Sancartier
Alina Chau
Liana Hee
Ashley Fisher 
Karen Krajenbrink
Bill Robinson 
Ryan Hungerford
Cat Maske 
Shiu Pei Luu
Chris Vear 
Sho Murase
Daisy Church 
Sherry Delorme
Denise "Dee" Chavez 
Steph Laberis
Erin Leong 
Wednesday Kirwan
Katherine Waddell

Mission Comics and Art is pleased to announce “VS: A Show of Opposites”, curated by Daisy Church. The show will feature new art and illustrations from over 18 different San Francisco and Los Angeles area artists. The theme of the show is "versus," and features artwork exploring the ideas of contrasts and opposites.

The opening reception will be held at Mission Comics and Art on Saturday, February 4th from 7-10 pm. Hor d'oeuvres and complimentary drinks will be served (wine will be available to our 21+ guests). The exhibition will be on display through March 3, 2012 and is free and open to the public.

Mission Comics is a fantastic retail and gallery space run by SF local Leef Smith, who combined a comic book shop with an art gallery in a fresh, exciting way while drawing on the unique strengths of the Mission District. The gallery and retail space also helps facilitate a greater cross-pollution between the worlds of fine art and commercially produced sequential art. Hours of operation are Tuesday thru Sunday, 12pm-8pm, or anytime online at www.missioncomicsandart.com.

When:
Opening Reception: Saturday, February 4th, 2012 7-10 PM, 
Multiple artists will be in attendance.

Where: 
Mission Comics and Art
3520 20th St. Suite B 
San Francisco, CA 94110 
Ph. # 415-695-1545

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails